Don’t let the weight of this diagnosis leave you powerless.
It’s normal to feel a sense of anxiety, of being out-of-control, worrying about your next steps on this journey. Yes, this diagnosis is paralyzing. Questions may surface that you can’t get out of your head…
- Why am I stressed out about this?
- What is the likelihood that my fears will come true?
- Will I Survive?
- Are there any reasons to be optimistic instead?
In the grieving stage of Kubler-Ross’ Model of Grief, fear and worry are heightened. There are techniques you can employ to quiet the fear and helplessness.
Some tips are:
- Positive self-talk
- This technique is key to mind over matter. How you talk to yourself is crucial. If you are positive, your mind, body, and emotions will all be affected producing an optimistic response
- Use positive words when using self-talk (e.g.,” You can do this!”)
- This technique produces endorphins which are chemicals in the brain that act as natural painkillers—and improve the ability to sleep, which in turn reduces stress.
- Use Yoga classes or even walking helps
- Is a simple technique to turn you mind back to its restful and alert state
- Guided meditation can be used by those unfamiliar with meditation
- Have healthy relationships
- Reframe outcomes
- Stop using tobacco & nicotine products
- Practice relaxation techniques which help you sleep better at night and reduces stress
- Guided imagery
- A self-guided visualization of a positive, peaceful place that allows relaxation (e.g., thinking of walking on the beach)
- Deep breathing
- Inhaling deeply which allows the lungs to fill with air. Then exhaling forcefully blowing out the air producing relaxation
- Use the power of scents to produce healing and well-being
- Progressive muscle Relaxation
- This relaxation method involves tightening and releasing tension in muscle groups to produce relaxation
- Muscle groups to work through: Lower limbs (feet and legs), Stomach and Chest, Arms, Shoulders, Neck, and the Face
- Eat healthy meals
- Many studies show the benefits from healthy eating habits
- Some benefits include boosting your mood, possibly increasing life span, and it lowers the risks of many diseases
- Set aside time for you
You can do this!